Albury, a parish in Herts, on the river Ash, S 1/2 miles E of Braughing and Standon stations on the G.E.R., and 5 1/2 NW of Bishop-Stortford. It has a post office under Much Hadham (S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Puckeridge. Area, 3238 acres of land and 10 of water; population, 563. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; yearly value from tithe rent charge, £250 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St Albans. The church contains a brass of Sir R. Verney, and a tomb of Sir Walter De la Lee of Albury Hall. The parish contains the hamlets of Albury End, Church End, Clapgate, Patmore Heath, Upwich, and Graves-end. Albury Hall, a country seat here, has a fine park of about 200 acres.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.